Monday, March 2, 2009

Gone Drivin'

Even when you're not out searching for adventure, sometimes it just comes to you. Like today, for example. We wanted to take a break from working on the basement, and it was a dreary, rainy day, so we decided to make some coffee in our to-go cups and we went for a drive.

As we were heading up north on Nine Mile Road, there were suddenly brake lights in front of us. We could see a mini-van on the shoulder of our side of the road and a truck on the shoulder of the other side of the road. The car in front of us moved into the oncoming lane to pass and we then had a very clear view of what was happening. There was a deer lying in our lane. The mini-van had hit it.

We just kind of sat there for a second as the driver of the mini-van was walking toward the deer to move it off the road. As we stared at this animal, we saw it was still alive and was badly injured. It's head was facing our truck and I felt like it was looking right back at me as if to say "HELP ME". (This, by the way, was a bit heartbreaking.) As he throws the truck into park, my manly man decides he's gonna take action. "I gotta put this thing out of it's misery". With his handy-dandy leatherman knife in tote, Ben jumps out of the truck and heads over to the deer.

I could see the traffic behind us starting to back up. After all, we were still parked in the middle of the road. I climbed over the center console and drove the truck to the side of the road. A few seconds later, Ben is walking back to the truck with a blood covered knife. "I think his back was broke, but he's really dead now. I sure hope that God views that as me trying to help the animal not suffer." I assured Ben he did the right thing.

We drove away. You just never know what your day may bring.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! What a manly man! Gabe would be very impressed. You certainly made a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Heart stopping!!! I am continually impressed with how men, in the moment of danger, actually BECOME courage in a way a woman never could.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job little bro. I am glad you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete