Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas

Ya know the excitement that little kids bring to Christmas? Well we don't have any of those, but we do have a dog, and as each day passes, I'm realizing there are more parallels between the two then I ever thought possible.
Somewhere in between the massive amount of snow, endless shoveling, a brief power outage on a sub-zero degree evening, a leaking roof, and a potentially frozen pipe, we did manage to celebrate Christmas (or at least we tried to). Our ham dinner did not taste good, so it was sweet potatoes for us! But Onyx did provide us with some Christmas entertainment.
My mom sent a package a few day's before Christmas and it contained a toy and some treats for the dog. I thought I could be sneaky and quickly transport the items from the package to her stocking without her noticing. NOT! Within seconds her nose went to work and she knew there was something in that stocking for her. For the next 4 days, she checked it out on what seemed like an hourly basis. Thankfully for her, the big day did eventually arrive.

Onyx didn't know I was in the room watching her. She actually pushed on her stocking hard enough that it fell off the mantle. She then proceeded to run away from the scene as if she had nothing to do with it. Sounds like a kid, huh?


After being told that she needed to leave her stocking alone, she decided to explore the gifts under the tree, sniffing every package the same way a child would try to feel each gift and guess it's contents. I do have to admit, I'm a little guilty of that too.

When Christmas morning arrived, Onyx wasted no time inserting her entire head into her stocking to retrieve her treats. She's been a happy girl since!


Thank God for doggies!
PS - It's official. We have broken the record for the snowiest month ever recorded. With the additional 8 or so inches we received yesterday, we now have just shy of 60" on the ground - most of which has presented itself to us over the last 15 days. We are enjoying a little bit of sunshine today. Our calm before the next 3-5 inches expected to start late tonight. Two more storms on deck after this one!

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for you! Looking forward to fun times in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see Onyx's personality shining through the pictures and your description. She's totally a KID! I love it!

    ReplyDelete