Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Intriguing & Scary

It was a warm, windy, sunny day in July. I was outside in my backyard digging in the dirt (i.e. my garden), and I started to get whiffs of a smoky smell in the air. I turned around and saw this through the trees:

The prior evening's weather forecast was calling for red flag conditions for this day and I expected to hear wildfire reports that night on the news, but I wasn't thinking they would be in Spokane, and I certainly didn't think they would be this close to our house!

Ben took out the ladder and crawled up on our roof and this is what he saw:





It was intriguing and scary all at the same time. Luckily for us, the wind was blowing the opposite direction and we had a ridge separating us from the fire. But we have two friends who were in the evacuation zone -the fire was only about a mile away from their homes! About 1,000 acres were burned up and thirteen homes were completely destroyed. It doesn't sound like much compared to wildfires in CA, but this was in middle of our city!
As we watched the news that evening and listened to the stories of people who were evacuated and weren't sure if their homes would be standing when they returned, we were once again reminded of how much we take for granted and how quickly it can all just disappear.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - those are scary pictures! The cloud reminds me of Mt St Helens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics! Scary, but definitely reminds you you're ALIVE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben and Rachelle, When I looked at those pictures yesterday, I thought they were from earlier this summer. Then IT HIT ME, it was just a few days ago! My heart would have been pounding until I knew how close the fire was. I'm glad you and the others are ok. I really like the narratives of your experiences with a few pictures. I really like the full picture of the Wagner family when I open up your blog.
    I like to be home for the trick or treaters. I didn't want to buy candy so I bought string cheese individually wrapped for the kids. IT WAS A HIT! I only had approx. 15-20 young teens come to the door. Many were happy for the different treat and some said, "I'm going to eat this right now, THANKS!" We didn't have any young kids. The costumes were cute. One group of girls were dressed up like fairies. They spent a lot of time on their costumes...glitter, nice home made wings, tights, too toos, the works.

    ReplyDelete