Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Summer Fun

In July, we finally got to do something we had been wanting to do since we've moved here - we biked the Route of the Hiawatha. This is a 15 mile trail located at the top of Lookout Pass on the border of Idaho and Montana. It winds through some of the most beautiful country we've seen. The trail used to be the route of the Chicago-St.Paul-Milwaukee Railroad line and all of the tunnels and trestles are still in place - which is what really makes this a fun bike ride. There is something like 7 tunnels and 10 high trestles.

This is the view we were greeted with after biking through a nearly 2 mile long tunnel! It was gorgeous. And a bit intimidating as we realized that we were truly in the middle of nowhere. The tunnel was a bit scary too. It was pitch black (you are required to have a light on your bike), cold (38°), and wet. The path through the tunnel is mostly clay and it is crowned in the center. Each side of the tunnel has concrete drainage channels. We were warned before we entered the tunnel that we should stay in the center of the path to avoid being pulled into the drainage channels along the edges. Because we were too cool to rent bicycle lights, we only had flashlights which we had to hold in one hand, while steering with the other hand, in the dark for 1.86 miles. It was truly a challenge to stay in the center of path and we definitely learned a lesson - it is wise to rent a bike light!

Cheeks full of sunflower seeds! Ben thought that our little bike ride would be a great time to teach me how to divide the shell from the seed, and then spit out the shell and enjoy the mouthful of seeds. I wasn't particularly successful at this, but I had fun trying. If you look really close at the right side of my smile, you can see the seeds sticking out! :)

This photo was taken looking down towards one of the trestles we would eventually be crossing. Do you see what I mean about being in the middle of nowhere? And to think that this was the path the rail cars climbed - amazing!

Ben on one of the trestles

The trail is easy riding and is a gradual down hill the whole way. We would LOVE to go again, so if any of you are up for a bike ride the next time you come visit us, we'll have to take you here. You can rent bikes, helmets, and lights - it is definitely worth it.

5 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! Did you think that Dad and I could do that ride? It looks scarier than ....! I think I could mustar up the courage to do it. I would have to remind myself to breath. I would always tell you kids to breath deep before you would start a scary thing. Hopefully that was helpful to you in your growing years. I;; let you know when I'm ready to do it. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you rode that trail!? We have totally been wanting to ride it! Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count us in for next year too! I've always wanted to try that and a kid-free day in the middle of now here on a bike sounds awesome. Can we go NOW? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly - Ben and I are confident that you and Dave could've done it! I'm sure that Ben left out a few of the details, but you should expect that from him - you know he loves to give you a hard time! The experience is actually very humbling. Everything around you is so huge and plentiful and you really feel small. It's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany & Lori - We must do this next summer!! Could be with or without kids. When we were there we saw several parents toting their kids in bike trailers. They seemed to be having a good time.

    ReplyDelete