The bench gets scooted up to the counter, Tanner climbs on. He watches as I get our lunch ready. "Mom, I really want to do something just us. I want dad and Kody to stay here cause I like it when it's just me and you." I finish spreading peanut butter on a flour tortilla and remind him to stop playing with the paperwork. "I like that too. What do you want to do?", I ask. Before he has a chance to answer, I offer a trip to Costco with me. And later in the day, we go. Just us.
He's all smiles there in the back seat, full of boyish giggles. His dimples practically make me melt. I smile too. Along the way, we pass a giant inflatable turkey on a roof top. We laugh and Tanner wonders “how in the world they got that up there". We walk hand in hand through the parking lot. He hops on the back of the cart because he's a big boy now, and I wheel us through the store. We share samples and discuss which fruit to buy. He helps me hoist bulk-sized items into our cart. We stroll through the Christmas aisles, at his request, so we can ooh and aah at the lights, trees, and decorations. At the check-out, the cashier comments on Tanner' s Chicago Bulls hat and asks if he's gonna play basketball too. Tanner responds, "No, you gotta be a man to do that, and I'm not a man yet." We chuckle.
Back in the car, we share some of our new snacks. He makes up a song about driving home in his booster seat and sings it in his country twang. He has me laughing. I tell him, "Tanner, I'm so happy you came with me. You kept me company, you were a great helper, and I just really like hangin' out with you." "I'm really happy too", he says, munching on his snack, a sing-songy voice "cause I just love you!" We pull in the garage, I tuck another sweet memory into my heart.
Gratitude:
-Steel cut oats
-The way the moving clouds and fog cover up and then reveal the surrounding terrain.
-A new friend and her family.
-Two old friends that are like life support - always guiding me in the right direction as I trudge my way through a hard season.
-Sweet potatoes - any way. Love them all.
-Husband who is the most dedicated employee I've ever known.
-Crawling into bed to discover little hot wheels under my sheet.
-Finishing Charlotte's Web and Kody telling me he's ready to start over tomorrow.
-The boys deciding they really do like celery with peanut butter.
-Makenna's dancing.
-The doctor asks Tanner what he does during the day- if he stays home, or goes to daycare/preschool...Tanner responds, "No, we go to Costco!"

Cute story, thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteLove You
Papa Wayne
You have me literally laughing out loud. The date, the hot wheels, the doctor comment -- a thread of joy interlaces the moments. You are building such strength into these boys, your whole family. So many of the great men of history credit their mothers with this bedrock strength. You are writing the DNA of character. Magnificent.
ReplyDelete