Monday, October 27, 2014

Better

The truck hums along the highway. I scan the sides of the road and nearby fields  for deer. Kody, my backseat buddy, helps me out. Through the road noise and chatter and the kids' songs coming through the speakers, I hear Makenna munching away on her animal cracker. Conversation flows easily.
 
"Momma", Kody says. "Sometimes I think I'm better".
 
"You mean like better than other people?" I ask
 
"Yeah", he says.
 
 
"Well," I respond, pausing to think about what I want to say next, "we all think like that at times".
 
Realizing I'm in the middle of a teachable moment, I pause again. Before I can verbalize my next thought, Kody says, "but I know that God doesn't want me to do that".
 
"You're right", I say. "We all have sinful hearts and it's easy for us to be overly prideful"
 
He adds, "Yeah, like sometimes I think I'm better than Tanner, but God doesn't want me to think that"
 
"That's true, buddy. I'm so glad you know that. Thank you for telling me how you were feeling."
 
"Welcome, momma."
 
 
Our conversation moves along to the river we are following. And for the rest of the drive home, I think to myself how awesome it was to have a moment to really listen to the heart of my child.
 
 
Gratitude:
 
-Sprinklers, three big maple trees, and a mostly completed fence in our front yard.  Seeing my sketches come to life.  Dreaming up the rest of the landscaping.
 
-Ben having a week off of work.
 
 
-The flu runs through our house. The rare time when everyone actually understands how the other is feeling. The kindness and compassion that ensues. Being ok with watching TV for an entire day!
 
-Celebrating our kids' birthdays with friends that are practically family. Adults staying warm by a fire while kids ran around the backyard in the dark. Lots of laughter.
 
 
-Birthday parties two nights in a row.
 
-Seeing old neighbors. Reminiscing about the "green house".
 
-Organizing our garage. Anticipation of the arrival of Ben's new tool box. A chance to use my label maker!
 
-Learning to like the transition to a new season. Being kind of excited to pack up the summer things and hunker down by cozy fires and read with the kids.
 
-A wet, wet day...reading Charlotte's Web to the boys, drinking cocoa with lots of whipped cream on top.
 
-The differences between boys and girls. Getting to experience both...and love both.
 
 
-Soup. Homemade soups. Tis the season.
 
-Walking through a store, Makenna spots the same dolly she has at home. Pure excitement. I'm in awe that she even makes the connection.
  


1 comment:

  1. I can't quit smiling about that Kody story. You truly have the best job in the world. Kody speaks in such a candid and unfiltered way. And your response is pure art. It's like hearing all the pieces of an orchestra come together. I keep replaying it in my mind. Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete