THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - A recap for those of you that weren't able to be there in person.
We really wanted to have a birthday party for Tanner and Kody this year. And because I'm kind of a lover of details and cute party ideas, I spent about a month gathering thoughts, jotting down notes, and saving pictures to my computer. It was one of those times when the Internet was TOO helpful and I was getting overwhelmed. Ridiculous, right? They're only two!
The boys LOVE construction vehicles, so I knew right away that our little party was going to have a construction theme. What I didn't know is the plethora of ideas that I would find or how much money and time some people spend on parties for kids who don't even care about the cute stuff. I tried to strike a balance - I don't know if I was all that successful!
I did the normal balloon and streamer thing, and then got a little crazy after that (but only a little). Ben borrowed some traffic cones from work and I made a lot of caution and warning signs that were hung both inside and outside of the house. We used saw horses and signs to "close" our sidewalk to our front door and hung a detour sign directing guests toward the pathway made of cones and caution tape which led to the construction entrance (our backyard). It was busy getting ready for the party, and in the hustle, I forgot to get photos of these things - major bummer!
The party menu consisted of BBQ Beef sandwiches which Ben and I made, broccoli salad, fruits, veggies, cheesy trucks (my crazy dreamed up concoction of sliced and cubed cheese stacked in such a way to look like a flatbed truck complete with halved black olive "tires" all held together with toothpicks), snacks, "dirt" cups with worms, and cake. Of course all the food had to have a construction-themed name and a corresponding name card. For example, carrot and celery sticks with almond butter or ranch dressing was called "Sticks n Mud or Cement", cheese puffs were "Wrecking Balls", and my skewered fruit kabobs of oranges, bananas, and black grapes (construction themed colors) were called "Construction Fruit Stakes". The name cards were made in the shape of construction warning signs, the sign "posts" were bamboo skewers, and each one was supported in decorated tomatoe paste cans filled with sand and covered with aluminum foil! (This is where I might have gotten a little carried away?!). I also borrowed a few of the boys' construction vehicles and used them to decorate the table and "serve" the snacks.
.JPG) |
| The partially decorated garage.... |
.JPG) |
| The front loader dumped "nuts and bolts" into the serving bowl, and the crane swung "wrecking balls". |
.JPG) |
| Dirt cups were made with pudding, topped with crushed chocolate graham crackers and gummy worms. |
.JPG) |
| This how the cake looked when we picked it up. |
.JPG) |
| This is how the cake looked after we "jazzed" it up a bit. Thank goodness for dollar store construction vehicles, a pack of Reese's Pieces, candy corn, and crushed chocolate graham crackers. Ben and I had fun decorating the cake, and the boys really liked it too. |
.JPG) |
| Singing "Happy Birthday"....twice. |
.JPG) |
| Kody trying to blow out candles |
.JPG) |
| Tanner trying to blow out candles. |
.JPG) |
| The birthday boys stuffing their faces. Notice Kody's cheeks. |
.JPG) |
| About half of the kids at the party! |
It was an extremely blustery day and we managed to fit about 35 people in our garage on patio furniture, the picnic table, folding chairs and the floor! We were thrilled with the turnout and besides everyone freezing, I think a good time was had. My favorite part of the party was getting to have all (minus one family) the friends that have made up our "family" since we've lived here. Each came into our lives at different times and seasons. Some knew each other, some had never met. Some we've known since the first year we lived here, some we just met a few months ago. It was neat for us to have them all in one room celebrating a really special day with us.
Happy 2nd Birthday to our Little Buddies!
Too cute! It looks like the boys had a good time. I love the decorations. Thanks for the pictures.
ReplyDeleteLove You
Papa Waynes
Looks like a good time was had by all. And Kody's little cheeks made me giggle, I can just picture that having seen him eat. Miss you all.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Granny J.
Happy birthday to your two little construction buddies! It looks like you had fun leading up to the party (you're amazing when it comes to details!) and fun at the party! Can't believe those little guys are two already! Kristin
ReplyDeleteThe party was a real hit! all the kids had fun and you guys did such a great job with decorating. that is the fun part, right? I think I always deocrated for your birthdays too and I enjoyed every minute of it. You always had a big smile when you'd see the kitchen! It's a fun thing to pass on. I'm grateful we got to be there to help celebrate their birthdays and to just visit all of you. the time always goes too fast though.
ReplyDeleteLove,
mom brenda