Sunday, May 27, 2012

Locked Out

It was a typical morning around here - finishing breakfast, boys playing with things they're not supposed to be, dog barking about something, and me reminding everyone that we need to use our inside voices. The barking continued letting me know that Onyx REALLY needed to go poddy. I stepped out the slider with the dog telling the boys to watch me out the window. Little did I know that we were starting our day with a grand adventure.

Standing on my patio, trying to open the door to come back inside, I realized that someone (or some two) unknowingly locked the glass while I had my back to the door! Here it was only 8:30 in the morning, my hair was all wet from my shower, my dog and I are outside without keys or a phone, and my two little boys have complete run of the house.

"Tanner, push the button up, please", I said, trying to coax him to unlock the door. "Push UP!", my voice raising as he's pushing down on the button. (Hmm, I wonder who locked me out!) With a smile on his face, he turns and runs down the hallway.


"TANNER, come back, unlock the door for momma." My best efforts didn't seem to be doing the trick.

Meanwhile, I glanced through the door across the room, and realize that I might just have a heart attack right then and there. Sweet little Kody has found his way to the top of the dining room table and was standing there as proud as can be with an ear to ear grin. Helpless, my heart was beating out of my chest. And then came the anger.

"Kody Lucas, SIT DOWN!", I yelled in my loudest quiet voice as to not make a huge scene. "SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW!". I watched him get on his knees and crawl back into his chair. The chair that has straps, which are currently not fastened!

Deep in thought. Contemplating his next naughty activity??!!
I plead with the boys, "Buddies, mommy is locked out! How am I going to get to you?" I came to the conclusion that they just weren't quite getting it. Scared to leave the window, but knowing I had to, I ran to the rental office praying under my breath that the door would be open and someone would be there. I crossed paths with my neighbor on the way who was kind enough to stand at the patio door and "watch" the boys.

The rental office was open and with spare key in tow, I bolted back to the apartment. I don't think I've ran that fast since my last high school track meet! Out of breath, I fling the door open.
"What in the WORLD are you two doing??!!"  Two little boys and two big smiles greeted me. Hugging them and scolding them at the same time - they had no idea of the emotional trauma they just put their mother through! I'm still not sure how Kody got from his chair back to the floor. Nor did I have any idea that Tanner was tall enough to reach the lock on the patio door.

Lessons learned: Never, ever, EVER walk outside without my keys or phone! And, do NOT underestimate the ability of two 19 month olds!

WHEW!


Gratitude:

No injuries while mom was locked out!

Husband who works his tail off and does it with a level of dedication (to both his employer and his family) that is extraordinarily admirable.


Snack time with Daddy!
How a cardboard box provides WAY more entertainment for my boys than any toy seems to.

Tanner's dimples. Kody's cheeks. Complete and total cuteness.

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who has the cutest dimples of all?

Kissable, lovable, smooshable cheeks!


Our soon-to-be new home. How it feels like a perfect fit for us and captures our personalities. 

Sharing each day with two growing boys - the amazement of how much they really understand, even though they can't quite communicate.   

Riding the safari jeep at Chuck E. Cheese's.
The rewards of being consistent.

How my mom, after a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, feels nearly 100% better...and not because of prescription drugs...by changing her diet! A - MAZING!

Eight years of marriage. Dates with my husband two weekends in a row. Horseback riding on an 1,100 acre ranch in North Idaho. And our first overnight trip by ourselves since our boys were born. Just being together.


Dot & Honey led us on a 2 hour trail ride through beautiful country.



7 comments:

  1. Funny Funny, Dad and I are sitting her laughing able to picture the whole situation. Glad everyone was ok, they are a handful and quite resourceful I must say. Can't wait to see you guys.

    Hugs,
    Granny J

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny now but at the time you probably were just scared to death. Lesson learned, can't trust the boys when your back is turned. They will surprise you when you least expect it.

    Love,
    Great-Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that I happened to stop by your blog today, friend! Loved hearing about your "adventure" and seeing the pic of your day together on the horses. :) You're a gem. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story and adventure! Kids are trouble! :) Thanks for sharing your drama of the day! Love hearing from you and your world. Love that you guys got away on a little overnight trip by yourselves. I was thinking of doing the same with Nick...maybe soon. Can't wait to see you!! Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double trouble! OMG so funny but very scary. I can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks. Maybe Auntie can teach the boys something else to cause trouble. Love U....OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Either you will be in the hospital for a heart attack or those boys will be visitng the ER for their no-fear attitude, like climbing ontop of tables and then managing to get down!It's a funny story NOW that it's over and the drama is past, but I can really picture the whole thing in my mind. Every mother's nightmare- being on the outside looking in!
    Awesome that you got to have some alone time on your dates. Love all the pictures. The boys are really growing and as cute as ever.
    See you soon.
    Love,
    Mom Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. HahahahaHAhaha! Such a hilarious exchange. The best part? The eight years of marriage that undergird everything. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete