It was November 21st. My best friend, Kristin, received a phone call from her dad. He was in Northern Wisconsin hunting with Kristin's husband, Nick, and other family members. It was a phone call that no wife would ever want to receive. Nick had been shot. A bullet punctured his lung, broke ribs, and shattered the scapula, but, amazingly, he was breathing. A 7-hour drive to the hospital, and Kristin was able to meet up with her husband who was in the ICU. Here they learned that the bullet entered Nick's body, less than 2cm from the vena cava. Unbelievable.
After several days in the ICU, and several more in general care, Nick walked out of the hospital and is now at home, expected to ultimately have a full recovery. Surgery on the lung is still in question, and a lot of therapy and healing needs to take place, but Nick is alive and walking. Two centimeters. An absolute miracle.
Since the day I first heard of this accident, I have been reminded of just how precious life is. It amazes me how quickly we forget that, and how tragedy is often the mechanism that rudely welcomes us back to reality. I hate that it takes that much to remind our prideful selves that our days are limited and that we better live life to the fullest. Kristin has always been a pro at this, and I always envied her ability to do it. Her husband is no different. I am still learning.
It's the holiday season, the timing of this accident is unique. A miracle upon us - when the rest of the world is fretting and frantic over holiday parties, gift giving, food preparation, etc. - I am once again reminded of what's truly important.

How very true Rachelle. Just this week, one our employees died, age 55, and Randy works with a girl who was killed in a car accident this past weekend. Her husband survived. Randy is going to her service tomorrow. Our employee at work is not having anything. His wishes were no service, no memorial, no nothing. His family didn't even know he was in the hospital having surgery. He died 4 days later. It saddens me that his life was so lonely and how he just died alone. It really is a miracle that Nick pulled through and something like that gets a person thinking about alot in life. Nick has alot of support of friends and family and there's nothing more meaningful than that. We all have to be so thankful for what we have and so much of the little stuff just doesn't matter, does it?
ReplyDeleteMom Brenda
Please tell Kristin and her family they are in our thoughts and prayers!! 2 cm, amazing!
ReplyDeleteNikki
Ah. Just what I needed to hear. Thanks Rachelle. And thank-you, God, what a miracle!
ReplyDeleteSomehow I missed this... but I love the reminder - lest we forget how precious each day is!
ReplyDelete