Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours

This year has been a bit crazy for us with things that have just gone wrong. And we have recently added one more thing to our list. If you haven't heard yet, Onyx broke and fractured a bone in her right hind leg on Saturday afternoon. We took her to the emergency vet clinic where they took x-rays and splinted her up. On Monday we visited her vet who recommended doing surgery. We decided to go for it and that happened on Tuesday. The surgeon put a metal plate and screws in her leg to hold the spiral-shaped break together. She spent one night at the clinic and is now back home with us - hopefully resting in her bed and not gallivanting around the house as I am downstairs trying to quickly types this and post some pictures!

The folks at the emergency clinic were great. They loved Onyx. They walked out of the back room carrying our 60+ pounds of highly sedated dog and gave her back to us with this very cute decorated bandage. Just about had tears in my eyes as they handed her to Ben, but was chuckling at the same time at all the little hearts they drew.


Yes, I know, dogs don't "need" blankets and pillows, but I just had to make sure she was comfortable!


After visiting her vet on Monday and getting her leg re-bandaged, Onyx came home to one of her favorite spots - the floor in front of the couch - perfect for sticking your head under. I guess. I haven't actually tried myself.

When we got Onyx home from surgery today, we took her outside to "poddy" and instead of taking care of business, the very first thing she did was went to lay in the sun! It cracked me up - this girl loves the sun - just like her mom. We tan together!! As you can see from the photo, she has a shaved leg. She also a shaved patch on her front leg where on IV was inserted, as well as a shaved patch on her back where she was given an epidural! She's sort of a mess right now.


After coaxing her out of the sun, she laid on the floor and whimpered. Ben laid down next to her and put his hand on her head. She wrapped her paws around his arm. I thought it was sweet. She was so happy to see us when we picked her up from surgery today. I think this must have been a very traumatic experience for her. So sad!


The surgery went well, and Onyx is expected to have a full recovery. She is in a good deal of pain right now and it breaks my heart to hear her cry and whimper for hours and know that I can't do anything to comfort her. I just can't believe how much we love this dog!! We will go back to the surgeon in two weeks to get stitches removed and re-bandage the splint. We have to keep her quiet for 8 weeks!! It's going to be a long process, but it will be worth it to have our girl back to herself.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Onyx's injury! Poor girl deserves a hamburger in a purse after going through such an ordeal. ;) The pictures are priceless, especially the one of Ben lying down with her. Hope she's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor girl :(

    Glad to hear the surgery went well and she's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww..... poor Onynx. It's so sad and I can see why you'd have tears! I love her little decorated bandage. The picture of her & Ben is adorable. You guys are good caretakers and Onynx knows it. She loves you dearly!
    Mom Brenda

    ReplyDelete