Monday, April 6, 2009

A Fun Visit

Five days with my mom went by very quick, but we had a really fun time. We went downtown one day to paint pottery at Color Me Mine. Neither of us had ever done this before, so it was an interesting experience... a bit overwhelming, actually. First deciding what you want to paint and then deciding how you want to paint it. And there are plenty of options! I painted a platter for Ben's grilling, and my mom painted a bowl.


My finished product:
I had a little mishap with the "E", but decided to leave it. It adds character and will always remind me of the day we painted our pottery together and the reaction with both had when I realized that I stamped the letter on backwards!
The other highlight of our visit was my mom teaching me to sew. She tried to teach me many years ago, when I was 9 or 10. I made a few things, but never really took interest in it. A few years ago, Ben got me a sewing machine for Christmas. I remembered just enough to be dangerous. I've managed to make a few curtains , some pillows, and a cover for Onyx's kennel. From a distance, the projects looked great... up close, not so much! I never used a pattern for anything, just made it up as I went. I suppose that's way nothing is ever straight!
So we embarked on a four day journey (I get frustrated easily, so frequent breaks are required) to sew an apron. I did it all from start to finish - picked out the pattern and some fabric, learned how to read the pattern (challenging at times), learned how to properly pin fabric to itself and to the pattern piece (not so good at pinning), learned how to properly wind a bobbin (the directions in my manual were incorrect), got lots of practice sewing a straight line, learned the proper way to iron seams and fabric in general (I never liked ironing), learned that it is critical to bring up the bobbin thread before starting to sew (no wonder my machine was jamming all the time - too stubborn to read the entire directions, instead endured my mother laughing at my way of doing things!), and most importantly... enjoyed the reward of starting and finishing a real sewing project. And it even turned out nicely!
Concentrating hard on cutting. Even with a line to follow, I've never been a great cutter!
Folding and pinning seams... preparing to sew.
And finally...the apron emerges!
Thanks, mom, for all your help. Love you and miss you tons!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful visit, Rachelle. And great job on your apron and the plate! It's fun to see what you create. Enjoy the sun today - wish we could go for another walk! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I LOVE the apron! You did great. And what a special time with Momma. What a treasure the two of you have in each other.

    Oh, and I totally didn't notice the "E" on the plate (also cool!) until you pointed it out! Hahahaha.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't notice the "E" either, until you pointed it out :)
    Adds some character!

    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you too! It's funny how you seem to be more and more like me as far as your craftier side goes. You never cared about that stuff when you were a kid. You still have to try your hand at cake decorating and then I can send all my supplies to you. I never could master making the rose, but now that they have left-handed tips, it might make much more sense to me!
    I had alot of fun working on the pottery and the apron. Enjoyed every single moment. Mostly, the lattes :) Isn't it such a great feeling to get something made and you can actually wear it? You learned alot and you were a great student. I'll be anxious to hear about your next apron - your on your own kid but just a phone call away!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete