Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mornings

My alarm clock has changed from the latest hits on the country music station to a chorus of WAH, WAH, WAH and NAY, NAY, NAY. Each boy with his own distinct sound. Over are the days of rising when I please. I sigh, get out from under the warm covers and walk across the hall. The first of the morning light filters gently into the bedroom. It is just enough to pick up the gold tones of my boys' blond-ish hair. Their tears wiped away, I smile. They stare back and, slowly, they smile too. The kind of smile that makes your heart flutter. They recognize me, and for now, they're happy. 

Holding a bottle in each hand, it's time to feed. Often, there are four little hands gripped tight around my thumb and pinkie fingers. I stroke their rosy cheeks with a free digit and find myself repeatedly saying "I just love you guys". They glance at me and then back to their bottles. It's quiet in the room except for the rhythmic suckling coming from both of them. I enjoy the moments just watching them, studying all their features. They are growing, but still so helpless and vulnerable. The flood of responsibility washes over me. It's a big job. 

My thoughts get interrupted by the noise of sucking air coming from two empty bottles. I return my full attention to them and we proceed with our routine. A quite hilarious symphony of burps and toots follows. My mood lightens as I laugh, sometimes so hard that I have my own tears. Full bellies and clean diapers, the boys lay on the floor cooing and smiling. 




Our day has begun and I think to myself..."I really like my new alarm clocks".

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting I really like hearing about your experiences and seeing the new pictures. I can tell that Tanner has put on weight, that is a great photo of him.

    Grampa Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite and experience raising one child much less that raising two at a time. They sure are becoming alert and looks like they don't miss a thing.

    Grandma Ardeen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your story and the feeling you put into it. I think you are such a wonderful mom and so in tune to the boys. I am shocked at I just can't wait to see you all again.
    Love,
    Grandma Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite picture is the one at the bottom, but of course I can't tell which boy it is! And I can just hear you saying "I just love you guys." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your experiences! It makes it so real. Thanks for sharing the photos and your world! I miss you tons and wish I could see you and your sweethearts and share in your moments. Love, Kristin and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, do you ever capture the moments. From the soft light to their smiles and toots, I can just feel them lilt by. Wish you had time to write them all. They make the whole world seem worth while. Such a miracle. Thanks, Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rachelle,

    Just love the latest pics of the boys! They've really filled out since the last time I saw pics! Adorable! Can't wait to actually meet them. Hope you all are doing well
    Love
    Jen

    ReplyDelete