We boarded the bus to head downtown to Hoopfest. I deposited my quarters in the fare box, Ben standing behind me. The bus driver casually asks when the baby is due. "Babies", I say. The first random public comment.
The doc told me I should feel some baby movements between 20 and 22 weeks. I was getting antsy, worry starting to fill my mind. Laying in bed, trying to relax, my hand resting on my stomach - it was one day shy of the 22 week mark - that precious moment arrived...a movement felt not just inside, but outside as well. I squeal with joy. Ben reaches over, each of us has a hand resting strategically on my belly. We lay there patiently, practically holding our breaths as to not miss anything and just then, another movement, one that we both felt. Together.
A box arrives in the mail. My mom sent us a package filled with baby clothes that she has been purchasing these last few months. Each item wrapped in colored tissue, decorated with stickers and labeled either "For Ben to open" or "For Rachelle to open", as only my mom would do.
Ben calls from work just to say hi. Before hanging up, he asks, "How are the boys doing today?" My heart flutters as I can feel how much we both love the babies we haven't even met yet.
The arrival of the cribs, a random comment from a stranger, the roller coaster of movements in my stomach, a package filled with clothes, and suddenly both of us realize that this is truly REAL. It sinks in over time - a strange mix of unimaginable joy coupled with sheer terror.
Oh, I'm smiling from ear to ear, all a'flutter too. You really capture the moments, perfectly. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet, Rachelle! :) Beautifully written!
ReplyDeleteBrought tears to my eyes! These are moments to treasure
ReplyDeleteLove Mom Brenda