Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Little Escape

I've always dreamed of owning a log cabin on a river or lake with a pine tree-lined driveway. I don't know what it is about log cabins and the woods, but I just love them. I feel like I belong in that environment. We both do. To us, there is not much that is more relaxing than being surrounded by towering mountain peaks, and every shade of green imaginable. Add in the sounds of a rushing river or waves lapping at the shoreline and it's even better. A few days ago, we experienced just that when we rented a cabin for two nights in SE Washington, near Mt. Rainier.




Located only 9 miles from Mt. Rainier National Park, and in the midst of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, this cabin, and two others, sat on 7.5 acres of Cowlitz River frontage. The cabin was cozy & comfortable. It was extra inviting because the owner of the property actually built this cabin himself with logs from a site just down the street. We kept warm with a propane stove and enjoyed listening to the rain fall while drinking coffee and looking out the window at the beautiful surroundings. It was exactly the kind of escape we were hoping for.



The view through a window with the river in the background. The garden in the middle is for guests to enjoy during summer months. How cool!


Low morning clouds surrounded us, but that didn't stop us from exploring the rocky shores of the river. Onyx especially enjoyed that part. She couldn't decide which stick to chew on or if she should walk in the water or on the rocks. She was a very good girl.



Unbeknownst to us was just how gorgeous the fall colors were going to be. Pictures, of course, don't even begin to capture it. We just loved how the colors popped off the canvas of cedars and other evergreen trees. And the air... it smelled so good - crisp, clean, and refreshing.








A litttle escape...our little slice of heaven.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh... I can practically smell the crisp fall air and become invisible in the spectacular canvas of color. Love your writing. What a refreshing trip. Even just hearing about it is a breath of fresh air. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful surroundings...glad you found such a great place to explore. Maybe next year you can go enjoy the garden in the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds heavenly, Rachelle. Thanks for taking us along! (Might need to get info from you on that cabin... a getaway sounds divine!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were so descriptive that I felt as I were there! The pictures are beautiful! Would be wonderful to plan a trip there sometime, huh?

    Mom Brenda

    ReplyDelete